I've just configured Firefox to allow me to use TextMate to edit any TextArea.
At first I tried to follow the somewhat confusing instructions on the TextMate Wiki, which require you to combine an unofficial hacked version of the Mozex 1.07 extension with Mozex-helper, a Python+C hack. Fortunately, with the recent pre-release of Mozex 2.0 the whole process has become much simpler:
- Install the Mozex 2.0 extension (pre-release version) and restart Firefox
- Go to "Tools > Extensions", right-click on Mozex and choose Preferences
- In the "General" tab, put "/private/tmp" in the "Directory for temporary files" field
- In the "Textarea" tab put "/.../TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/mate -w %t", replacing the dots with the actual path to your TextMate application, probably "/Applications"
- Optionally, you may want to check the "Edit textbox in UTF-8" box.
Now all you have to do to edit any Textarea using Textmate is right-click on it, choose "Mozex > Edit Textarea", edit the text, save your file and you're done.
Time to start putting Textmate's Ctrl-Shift-H shortcut to good use. Hello Markdown, goodbye HTML blogging.